- Show me FAQs about:
- Formula •
- Udderly Organics Products •
- Shipping & Returns •
- About Udderly Organics
- How do I prepare baby formula?You should always follow the instructions that are included with your formula order. For your peace of mind, here are some recommended preparation tips courtesy of Holle:
- Boil the bottle, teat and ring for 3 to 5 minutes before use.
- Boil the water according to the meals table and let it cool to 122°F.
- Next, fill approximately half the bottle with water.
- Loosely fill the measuring scoop, smooth out with a knife, and add to the water. (Please refer to the chart included with your order.)
- Shake well. Add remaining water and shake vigorously again.
- After the meal has cooled down to 98.6°F, it is ready to be fed.
- Do I really need to boil the water?Yes. Formula milk powders are not sterile, which means there is a small risk of contamination from harmful bacteria known as Cronobacter Sakazakii. These bacteria can be introduced several ways:
- during feed preparation from kitchen surfaces
- from the powdered formula itself
- by using water that is this hot when preparing formulas
You can minimize the risk of contamination by feeding the formula to your baby immediately after it’s been prepared. This applies to all formula milk powders.
- Is 1 scoop the same as 1 oz of water?Most parents use 1 scoop of formula to 1 oz of water, but when converting ml to oz, there is a slight discrepancy. We recommend following the directions provided with your order.
- How quickly should mixed formula be used?It’s recommended that feed mixed formula within an hour of sitting at room temperature.
- Can I pre-make formula for my baby’s daycare?It is always advised to make formula fresh to be safe. However, if you need to pre-make formula, be sure it’s kept refrigerated and used within 24 hours. Before feeding, make sure to shake the bottle well.
- When do your powdered formula expire?Most of our powdered formulas expire within 8-14 months from today’s date because they do not contain preservatives, and we strive to buy the freshest batch available. Store bought brands typically have preservatives, which is why they have longer shelf lives.
- What’s the best way to store a can of powdered formula? How long will it last after it’s been opened?We would recommend storing formula in an airtight container, which will keep it fresh for 2 weeks. Please note that our formulas do not contain preservatives, so if it’s exposed to the air, it may go rancid faster than other formulas.
Udderly Organics Products
- Which brand should I choose?Ultimately, this decision is best left to you. That said, here’s a handy comparison chart of our brands so you can make a more informed decision.
- Are your formulas irradiated?No, this is a myth. Our formulas are never irradiated. They do go through a standard x-ray machine, which cannot be avoided. However, there is no loss of nutrients from the formulas during this process.
- I’ve heard Similac is the best formula, and my doctor even recommended it. Why would I buy European formulas over Similac?The concern over Similac is that the first ingredient is corn syrup, which is nothing more than highly processed genetically modified sugar. Babies need a balanced diet, and ingredients like sugar are low on the nutrients list. By exposing babies to this much sugar, it enables them to become addicted to it from day one. Plus, you may find it more difficult to switch them to healthier options later on.
- What’s the difference between Holle Lebenswert & Demeter?There are two main differences between them:
Stage 1 does not contain maltodextrin; instead, it contains lactose.
Lebenswert is certified organic with Bioland instead of Demeter. Bioland is a very reputable company with their own set of high organic standards.
- Some of your brands don’t contain DHA, but isn’t it very important for my baby’s brain health?DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) is found in breastmilk. DHA Single Cell Oils (DHASCO) are extracted from microalgae (which may have been grown in a laboratory) and are not similar to the DHA in breast milk. According to the FDA, scientific evidence is mixed on whether infant formulas containing DHASCO is beneficial for babies.
- I read that some of these European Formulas contain palm and rapeseed oil. Are these safe for my baby?With general recommendations, you may come across warnings against saturated fatty acids as well as the promotion of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. But infants in their first year of life have a metabolism that’s different than the metabolisms of adults and children.
Fatty acids in human milk are mostly saturated. To be close to composition in human milk – and to meet legal requirements – Holle infant formulas use palm oil in the fat mixture of their infant formulas. Palm oil is one of few vegetable oils that’s naturally rich in saturated fat. Most other vegetable oils are rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. By combining palm oil with rapeseed oil and sunflower oil, the mixture provides a good fatty acid profile that meets nutritional requirements for infants.
- Why do some European formulas contain Maltodextrin?A minimum amount of carbohydrates is required in infant formulas. The amount and composition of carbohydrates found in infant formulas is highly regulated, which leaves few options for meeting requirements.
Maltodextrin is a non-sweet and medium complex carbohydrate that’s made from starch. It’s officially and scientifically accepted as an ingredient in infant formulas. There are no hints of disadvantages for infants who are fed formulas containing maltodextrin in sound proportions.
Without the use of maltodextrin, formulas would contain more lactose (milk sugar) and have a sweeter taste. Some infants are sensitive to high doses of lactose and suffer from colic when lactose enters the lower part of the digestive system. The mild complex structure of maltodextrin makes formula easy to digest and less sweet. Because the complex structures of maltodextrin are digested a little more slowly, it helps infants to feel satisfied longer.
- My friend has used stage 1 for the entire 1st year. Can I do the same?Babies need certain levels of nutrients at different stages in their development. With that in mind, it’s recommended that babies are switched to the appropriate stage based on their age. Brands like Holle, Hipp, Nanny Care and Biobim have worked hard for over 80 years to perfect the nutrient levels in their formulas so they meet your growing baby’s needs.
Shipping & Returns
- How quickly do you ship after I place my order?Orders are send through USPS Priority Shipping. Depending on your location, it will take 1-3 days for your order to arrive. If your order is placed by 10am PST Monday-Friday, it will ship out the same day. All other orders will be shipped out the next business day. See our Shipping Policy for more details.
- When will I receive my item? Where is my tracking information?Depending on your location, it will take approximately 1-4 days to arrive. However, we have no control over any postal system delays. You will receive your tracking information after your order has shipped. See our Shipping Policy for more details.
- Do you ship internationally?Yes! Please note that with international shipping, it may take 5-20 days for your order to arrive. (We have no control over the speed of postal mail.) See our Shipping Policy for more details.
- How do I make a return?If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return the unopened merchandise for a full refund. (Please note: shipping costs will not be deducted.) To complete your return, visit the returns section here.
- How do I reach you if I have questions on my order?You can email us at email@example.com, and we’ll respond within a few hours.
About Udderly Organics
- Are you a legitimate seller? How do I know I'm not receiving a fraudulent product?Absolutely! We receive our products from very legitimate wholesalers in England and Germany. There are rumors of fake sellers out there, but we believe that isn’t true. Our biggest concern for you would be receiving formula that’s been sitting in hot temperatures, direct sunlight, has been opened and resealed or expired.
- Do you ever have sales?Yes! Join our mailing list (below) and you’ll be the first to know when we have upcoming sales.
- Do you have a physical store I can visit?No, we sell online only. However, if you’re located in the Snoqualmie Valley area, we do offer local pick-up. Please email us for a list of current pick-up locations.